Saturday, July 4, 2026

Once.....

7 comments:

  1. Nice shot! Black and white photographs seem to work so much better when you're trying to capture mood and atmosphere. That flag is very interesting. What's its story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flag is apparently from the 1870s (I think). I photographed this at Thompson Mills State Heritage site - a grist mill first built in 1858 (and rebuilt in 1862 after a fire). It operated continuously up until the early 2000s and was eventually acquired by the state.

      I used to shoot primarily b&w back in the film days. I like the look.

      Delete
  2. Interestingly, the flag was issued in 1858 when Minnesota became a state. It was reissued the next year when Oregon was admitted! :-)
    https://www.flagandbanner.com/products/33-star-american-flag.asp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting! So the flag dates back to the beginning of the mill. I'd think it's likely a reproduction, but who knows?

      Delete
    2. Either that, or they never bothered to buy the Oregon version that appeared the following year. (?)

      Delete
    3. I can't imagine flags were as cheap and disposable as they are now - so I'd think they hadn't bothered to update. But that's just my guess. I think it may be a replica because it's just nailed to the wall in a very non-climate controlled barn-like portion of the mill.

      Delete